The Powerful Bind of Violent Graphics

     The use of photography and videography has been continuously advancing our understanding of the world and ourselves, having the power to capture reality in a fixed frame.  However, when it comes to violent photos and documentations, I wasn't fully prepared for the onslaught of nightmares I would experience.

    As an engineer, my father loves solving unfathomable problems and mysteries, and some of his favorite sources of entertainment are murder mystery documentaries from shows like Forensic Files and airplane disasters/Mayday specials found on YouTube.  Little did I know, his fascination with these violent graphics would imprint deeply on my psyche, shaping my daily behavior with constant fear.  As a child, I couldn't help but eavesdrop into the speaker of my dad's phone.  "How could I miss out on such a significant story?", I thought to myself.  I couldn't let the opportunity pass. I had to hear the climax of the documentary.  

    However, the traumatic experiences of overseeing my dad engrossed in these chilling tales had a profound impact on my developing mind.  The details of murders and the terrifying sounds of plane crashes became ingrained in my consciousness, leaving me with an overwhelming sense of dread that lingered long after my short eavesdrops (Don't know why I didn't let my dad know 🤷).  

    That said though, this exposure to violence and tragedy completely rewired my brain.  Simple activities like going to bed in the dark became a point of anxiety.  Every night, I would struggle to fall asleep, awaiting the sound of breaking glass or a gunshot.  The mere sound of an Amber Alert would send me scrambling under my blankets, seeking refuge from the imagined horrors lurking outside.  Boarding a plane even became a scary experience.  I couldn't help but scan the faces of fellow passengers, searching for signs of unease or impending danger.  I would check under the seats for bombs, search the windows for any leaks, do anything to prevent myself from falling into the doom of fate's hands.

    As I grew older, I began to recognize the profound impact that these experiences had on my daily life.  The constant state of fear became exhausting, yet I found myself unable to break free from its grip.  It wasn't until I grew wiser and more experienced to regain a sense of my thoughts and emotions, yet the violent graphics still brings me chills whenever I think about it.

    The powerful bind of violent graphics is one that lingers long after the images have faded from the screen.  It serves as a stark reminder of the lasting effects of media consumption on our mental and emotional well-being.  Therefore, it is important to mentally prepare the younger and less experienced for violent and graphical media like these to prevent the mental shock and surprise when accidentally exposed to them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Gift Given to Chase our Dreams

Are Ants Aliens?

Trumpet Chronicles