Trumpet Chronicles

     There is a pivotal moment in every musician's life: choosing the instrument that will become their lifelong musical companion.  Don't pick wrong - it really comes back to bite you.  For me, that moment arrived in the band room of my music class in grade five, where an array of brasswind, woodwind, and percussion instruments awaited eager hands of curious minds.

    Unlike most of my classmates, many instruments gave me a fright just be looking - the heavy-duty tuba that towered over our tiny heads, the saxophones and clarinets covered with countless menacing valves.  As I hopelessly surveyed the options before me, my eyes landed on a gleaming trumpet, its golden curves promising simplicity and ease.  With its modest amount of three buttons and that unmistakable funnel-like piece of metal, it seemed like the perfect choice for a clueless and naïve fifth grader like myself.

    Little did I know, that this seemingly innocuous decision would kickstart a journey of countless trials, frustrations, and comedic misadventures that would make quite the chuckle for most pros.  Never judge a book by its cover - or should I say, never judge a horn by its number of valves.

    You see, the trumpet isn't just about blowing air into a metal tube and hoping for a fart noise.  No, it's the struggle of partials, lip-ups, and fracks that would baffle even the most clever observer.  But I really thought it was that easy; And it was at first, tooting away on my new trumpet, unaware of the complexities that awaited.

    Let's not forget the art of "lipping" up to the next partial, where two notes share the same valve position and us trumpet players must resort to this technique to ascend to the next level of pitch.  How simple for a fifth-grader like me, not even having to move a finger!  Well, let me assure you, it's anything but.  Imagine trying to coax a stubborn donkey up steep hill, and you might come a little closer to the frustration of "lipping" up on the trumpet.

    And then there's the matter of effortless playing you hear from the teachers, the pros, and even the amateurs on the internet.  That was enough to convince the fifth-grade me, but it seemed to elude me more with each passing year.  I watch in awe as legends like Louis Armstrong effortlessly hit double-high Cs, their faces unfazed like a sensei in meditation.  Meanwhile, I'm over here sweating bullets trying to hit notes an octave lower.  Some pros pointed out: "If you struggle to play high notes, relax your muscles and blow more air", or in my perspective: "If you struggle to play high notes, stop trying to struggle and you've hit your double-high C."

    But wait, there's more!  Tuning and intonation, those concepts that only the pros dare to tackle.  But just break the system like me and the other 0.01% who have perfect pitch (yes, it's a real thing), and avoid the painstaking struggle of tuning the trumpet altogether.  While my peers strained their ears listening to the faint whispers of pitch across the room, I bask in the glory of my innate sense of pitch perfection.

    The world of trumpet playing, where "lipping" is an art form, effortless playing is a distant dream, and perfect pitch is a golden ticket creates the sweet sound of music.  Or should I say, the sweet sound of chaos?


Comments

  1. I like your voice and writing style, you use great imagery such as “to coax a stubborn donkey up a steep hill”.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Gift Given to Chase our Dreams

Are Ants Aliens?