A Real-Life "Toy Story"

     I'll admit that it is quite ironic that I choose to compare myself to Andy Davis in the Toy Story series to represent my relationship with toys because my own name is Andy as well.  Surprisingly, I think we still hold many similar behaviors with the treatment of our toys - with some small twists on my perspective.

    Like Andy, I also remember being an eager and imaginative boy that loved building a community and making up stories with my toys.  Only I would probably be more shocked and overjoyed if I found out my toys could actually move, talk, and have emotions just like me.  I mean, I wouldn't think of my toys only when I played with them.  I would fantasize about them everywhere I went - school, churches, in the car, and of course, my dreams.  

    I'll let one of my most memorable toys Diny do the honors.  My dinosaur had a special ability to grow by soaking him in water, which made my "parenting" experience that much more realistic.  I fell in love with Diny as soon as I cracked open his artificial egg - his tail, scales, and teeth were too much to resist letting him out of my sight.  Unfortunately, he had to stay submerged in water or else my worst fear of losing him would become a reality.  I thought of him everywhere whenever I wasn't home, especially at school.  Every day when I was home from school, I would rush to my room just for the delight and happiness when I saw Diny grow.  I talked with him about my day at school, my family - and he would talk to me about his day with my other toys and how much he missed me when I was gone.  Like Andy and Woody, we were inseparable.

    Unfortunately, all great things must come to an end.  One day, Diny suddenly stopped growing and began to shrink, even in water.  I cannot explain the panic of emotions I felt - I tried resubmerging him with fresh, new water, I took him to appointments to my parents, but nothing worked.  I felt completely crushed, and broken-hearted.  I remember the day I couldn't stop crying when the doctors said he died of "a dehydration disease".  

    As I aged, I got over the death of Diny and moved on with my own life.  Like all children, I eventually learn to mature and to act "normally".  However, I will always miss the days as a child where I could be foolish, playful, imaginative, and create a community with my childhood friends.  I guess that was the same feeling Andy felt when he gave away Woody to Bonnie.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of Diny, but he is somewhat similar in this picture

Comments

  1. Wow this is incredible writing. I felt like I was standing next to you as you found out Diny was dying of "dehydration disease" my heart aches for Diny.
    I remember having a growing toy when I was younger. I adore what you've written in your last paragraph. I don't think we think that much about when we were kids, honestly we still are kids. But we've definitely grown a lot since then everything is much more serious. We don't get to be carefree any more. Life really changes as we grow up and we have lost something. I think we should be allowed to mourn it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a Gift Given to Chase our Dreams

Are Ants Aliens?

Trumpet Chronicles